With winter approaching, it's best to prepare your car for the conditions that could cause damage to your vehicle or jeopardize your safety. Below are some tips that can get you ready for the colder season:
1) Check your car's engine antifreeze and coolant levels. These liquids will keep your engine from freezing when there are colder temperatures. Most auto supply stores have kits that will allow you to check coolant levels. Your car's manual will also give you instructions on how to check coolant levels on your own. Adding antifreeze is a relatively simple thing to do.
2) Having a “winter supply” box in your vehicle is an important safety tip should you have some problems due to winter conditions on the road. Some items could include:
- A flashlight
- A radio
- A charged cell phone for 911 calls
- A first-aid kit
- Road flares
- A change of warm clothes for the driver
- A few extra pairs of gloves
- A few blankets
- A bag of sand (for traction)
- An extra ice scraper
- Some high-energy snacks (like nuts or jerky)
3) Check your car's tire pressure and tread depth. Ensuring that your tires are in good shape is essential to protect your automobile and to keep you safe. It's essential to make sure your tires have the right amounts of tread on them. Insert a penny into your tire’s tread with the top of Lincoln’s head facing the tire. If you can see all of Lincoln’s head, it's time to replace the tire before you're hit with wintry weather conditions.
4) Switch to a winter-grade oil at your next oil change. In general, the more frigid the temperatures, the thinner the oil in your engine should be. Your oil's viscosity in winter is indicated by the first number in the oil specification, with a lower number showing favorable viscosity in cold weather.
5) Use winter windshield wiper fluid. Not all windshield wiper fluids are the same. Switch your regular fluid for winter fluid that is made for the stress of winter conditions and won’t freeze on your windshield. It even assists in loosening snow and ice from your windshield, making it much simpler to clear away.
The team at Complete Automotive is happy to help prepare your vehicle for the winter season. We pride ourselves in being the leader in the automotive industry due to our expert car service repairs and outstanding customer service. Our knowledgeable technicians are the best in the industry and have you covered. Please contact us with any questions. We are located at 2238 E. Chestnut Expressway, Springfield, MO 65802.